Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cocktail fail!

A Strawberry Daiquiri, a Margarita Margarita, and a Pina Colada Pina Colada.

Ok, that is not really what they are, it just looks that way because of the graphic and type treatment of the packaging.

I think this idea is pretty neat. And in Original Ice's defense the page I pulled this image from listed the "Top 5 Things to Do On Your Bachelorette's"

Side note... my dirty little mind added all kinds of things to the end of that incomplete sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on Original Ice. I like the Brand and the Company, this is a pretty ingenious idea. I haven't, however, tried the product so I will have to go with the reviews of others. I do give Original Ice extra bonus points for not calling these cocktails. They call them "Spirit Coolers."

The still represent Cocktail Fail..... Lemmesplain....

First, I do not like pre-packaged cocktails. Period. Horrible idea. Don't do it. Bad.

Second, the fact that your market (one of them at least) is the Bachelorette's is a pretty big Fail all by itself. It is pretty hard to say "Enjoy Responsibly" and the attach your product to a "Pole Dancing Party" or "Male Dancers Party" with the implied goal of getting stupid drunk so that the next day you can reclaim your innocence by blaming the alcohol from the night before.

I understand you have to market your product in order to sell your product, I just don't like targeting your product, any alcohol product, to a group of people who seem to have the singular goal of getting stupid and dangerously drunk. Drinking is the goal, not getting drunk. Enjoy the drink, enjoy the buzz, don't waste it by getting so pissed you have to rely on photos to know what you did the night before.

I guess the real reason I keep harping on these kinds of products is because I can envision the day, quite soon really, when some politician's kid gets into some kind of trouble after taking down too many juice-boxes of booze and deciding that Alcohol is far too easy to lay hands on and should be taxed and legislated and a whole bunch of other horrible things that will make it that much harder me to get good ingredients for my Mai Tais. I already have a hard time getting some quality rums because I am in a Distributor State so if the Distributor doesn't think they can profit they don't carry.

Anyway, that's all I got for tonight. Thanks for reading.

No comments: